Friday, October 17, 2008

Phillies Fans


Today I wanted to write about the UNBELIEVABLE Phillies fans here. My friend Mindi tried to warn me but I had NO idea. So the big game was Wednsday night (also the debates but I don't think anyone but us were watching those). People were up VERY late and partying about the big win. The fans are so crazy that they just made a law here that if you have any open container of alcohol on the streets you will be fined. They were outside, which means that by them being in their front yard they are pretty much in ours because the streets are so small. (I am still trying to catch up on sleep.) Then I was watching the news last night and the very 1st story is about how the shops in Center City have almost no Phillies paraphenilia left. I looked at the clock and it was 10:05 and they were still carrying on about this. Then at 10:15 the story was about a Grandma and a 2 year old shot on a crosswalk and they spent the entire story about how they caught the guy who shot them. (sorry to scare you Mom but yes, that kind of thing happens all the time here). I was like really, really that story deserves to be like 3rd and the Phillies team apparel is 1st? Priorities? Basically that is what it is like here- EVERYONE is a fan and if you are not- you better not mention it or you could be in the #3 news story for the night!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

This is certainly something that someone from Salt Lake knows nothing about. I mean, we have the Jazz, and if they ever did something awesome there might be partying in the streets, but that is unlikely to ever happen :0)

wackywilsons said...

Sports are such a big deal in some areas! We were in OH where the Browns play and it was a whole new culture...my goodness. I will have to see in a year if you turn into a sports finatic also!

I am glad you got to go to Gettysburg. The history in the East is amazing...when are you coming to DC?