Sunday, August 31, 2008

We Made it to Philly

Greetings from PA! Well we made it. The trip was VERY long and boring. Aubrie did surprisingly well and keeps asking to go back to the hotel. I am pretty much just in culture shock. Philadelphia is not like anything I have ever seen. It is going to take some getting used to, and right now I just want to go home.
We finally have a house. It is very old but hey there are 3 bedrooms and a basement to store things in. After living in "The Village" up the U- we feel like we are in a palace. The moving company screwed us and won't refund us the money they owe us so, we have NO furniture. I am pretty sure we will NEVER use a moving company again. Aubrie keeps asking where our couch is and all I can say is- "well honey sit on the camping chair!" Life sucks sometimes doesn't it?
Unfortunately my camera is missing so I have no pics right now. I will post some when I find it. This week we are going to figure out how the public transportation works and go see some sights of the city (hopefully) and I am definitely looking for a job because it is CRAZY expensive here. Everything costs SO much. I am trying to be upbeat but it just isn't working...
I will write more of our adventures later.

6 comments:

Cristi said...

Sorry it's not going so well! I felt a lot of the same feelings when we got here to TN and went through a "mourning/depression" period. All I can say is that I hope it passes quickly and that you find some happy things to help you enjoy it there. For me it has been the friends we've met through church. Anyway, I hope it starts looking up!

Kristin Sokol said...

Jules....Sorry things aren't fantastic. They will be...soon. At least you have your family and you arrived safely. Everything else will work itself out.

So you have zero furniture? As in the moving company kept it or you just didn't bring much. I am worried. Please provide more detail. I'm scared for you.

Not that its the same thing, but when I moved to New York for the mish I was culture shocked too. Give it six months. You'll find things you love and new and great foods to eat. Once you get back here you'll forever miss them.
One advantage you have over me in New York is you got to bring your favorite people with you. Me, I was also forced to live 24-7 with strange people who I didn't always care for. And we had to proselyte, not easy. So it could be worse.

Mel said...

So sorry that things aren't the greatest right now. What happened with the furniture and moving company? I hope you feel settled and happier soon.

Leslie said...

Julie, I am so sorry. I hope you can get things worked out with the moving company. I want to cry for you. How is your ward? The great thing about the church is that it is the same everywhere you go. If you need to talk just call me.

Erika W said...

We miss you already, but I know that you'll have some fabulous experiences in Philly. So sorry about the moving company - jerks - but hopefully things will start looking up now. We love you guys! Call anytime!

wackywilsons said...

Jules....yes, the East is way way way expensive...it's insane how much even a gallon of milk can cost, or a lb of oranges.

Don't get too discouraged. Give yourself 3-6 months to adjust AT LEAST, if not more.

You are going to love no matter where you are b/c you have a beautiful family and your hubby gets to do something that he loves everyday at work...those will help make things better for you in between the adjustment period.

Hang in there, I am with you !

let's meet up soon