Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How we've spent our days

Unfortunately I have yet to locate my camera, so I don't have pictures to accompany this blog( boring I know)! We have managed to do a few fun things since we got here. We went and saw my sister Kristi in Virginia. She has a beautiful house and a new dog (Acadia) - after seeing him Aubrie has decided that all of her stuffed dogs are also named Acadia. We visited Harpers Ferry while we were there -my favorite part was actually the beautiful drive through Virginia- places like Leesburg. I went to the New Jersey shore with some girls in my new ward last week. I say Shore because that is what they call it here (not the beach!) It was amazing and absolutely breathtaking. Aubrie was so scared at first but soon realized waves are fun- I had a tough time getting her to leave. Both Brent and I have gone out with the missionaries. What an adventure there. The lady I taught with the missionaries kept offering me drinks. We have also had them to dinner. There are like 4 sets of missionaries just in our ward. So different than SL.
On Saturday hurricane Hanna was felt here - it was insane to drive in - not like the rain in Utah that is for sure. (Our bathroom ceiling is cracked and water was coming in - this place is ancient!)
Today we headed downtown(City Center) to see the sites. $15 to park for 2 hours (ouch!) We saw Independance Hall and the Liberty Bell - and then.... another downpour of A LOT of rain. We were so drenched in an instant. Of course that ended our tours for the day. It was raining so much that really all we could do was laugh. Aubrie just kept sticking her hand out of the stroller saying, "It's raining!"
We are finally all moved in and I promise to post pictures soon. I LOVE having a basement to store my stuff. I HATE the wood floors (it's just because they creek and I am way freaked out because you hear everything and everyone). We got some of our $ refunded from the moving company- its kind of a long story but I had to call and yell and threaten (Philly style) to get something done. Don't ever use WE-haul (ABF) or Roadway moving company- they are dishonest, expensive, and rude!
I am doing better than last week. It makes it easier to know that I have the support of my friends and family. Especially now that I am one year older(my b-day was Tuesday). Someone asked me how old I was Saturday when I was with the missionaries and I told them- they were shocked and told me I didn't look a day older than 22! Nice! Maybe I should lie about my age here? No one would know!

4 comments:

Holly said...

It's good to hear things are getting better. We miss you guys too! Hope you had a great birthday.

Leslie said...

Happy Birthday! I am glad to hear you are doing better. I hope you find your camera soon so we can see some pictures.

Erika W said...

I'm so glad you guys are doing better and getting to see some sights. That's pretty funny about the missionary splits. What a different world that must be! When we lived in Vegas we had the missionaries over for dinner every now and again because they lived in our apt complex. Here in Herriman I wouldn't even be able to tell you who our missionaries are, or whether they are sis. or elders. Oh, and the rain sounds interesting, too. Aubrie is going to have all sorts of new experiences living back east, which is actually very cool. We do miss you guys, but I'm excited for all the fun adventures you get to experience. I would love to visit some of those historic places you're getting to see, but we'll just have to live vicariously through you for now, so keep us updated! Oh, and after this novel of a post, Happy Birthday!!!!

Jason and Laura Roe said...

Hey guys, it sounds like you are liking it a little more, except for the driving of course....you know sometimes I wish that we had some traffic problems...that would mean there were more people that lived here, we don't even have a stop light!!!